Monday, April 5, 2010

P/Easter HERE

I took Ndege-Samaki (my boat) out on Lake Kivu and there spanning from our house all the way over to the green mountains of Rwanda was a brilliant Technicolor rainbow – the first I have seen HERE, despite all the sun and all the rain. A peace bridge, hey? An Easter present.

I tried to dye eggs but the only eggs HERE are brown and the only food coloring I could find was yellow so it wasn’t perfect, but I tried, anyway. I made a little Easter basket for the brown-yellow eggs and added chocolate and cut out paper rabbits for decoration.

Four of my colleaguehousematefriends and I shared dinner and candy and watched Glee projected onto our living room wall. Our two French colleaguehousematefriends, E and V, made crepes. I tried to make a traditional apple-walnut-wine dish (except with pear and almonds, oh well) for H, who celebrates Passover. H made a mushroom onion dish which was delicious. We ate Masisi cheese and sang along to the showtune choir and I fell asleep on our red living room couch, listening to the music, stomach full, HERE beside the lake & beneath the volcano & below the rainbow.

6 comments:

s said...

do you have a canoe yellow coloured?i think i saw it on sunday

Rachel said...

Where is your base?? Mine is down the street from the main MONUC base. I don't have a canoe, I have a little dingy with the outer edge deflated... haha. But I was out in it on Sunday!!!

s said...

it must be your boat only.pretty boat with pretty owner i must say.my base is down the line.

Rachel said...

That's so funny! Well, hi, neighbor!!! :o)

K said...

Red dye plus brown eggs = most beautifully brilliant red easter eggs ever.

Rachel said...

Oooh awesome!!! Thanks for the tip! :) Maybe I will make some One-Week-After-Easter dyed eggs...