Monday, April 5, 2010

Monday After Easter

Went out in my boat and saw king fishers, cormorants, and one tiny yellow butterfly winging across the water. Turned around and then around again, and then there’s the beautiful delicate yellow butterfly, lying face down in the water. I tried to save it, but it was clearly dead.

There’s this dead tree atop which a hawk always sits, looking out over his kingdom that includes the lake and our house. Staring down at the dead butterfly on the end of my oar (with which I had tried to rescue it), I heard loud loud cawing. I looked up; a crow had perched in the hawk’s spot and was bragging loudly in celebration, showing off, swaggering gleefully.

Decided I wanted a treat. Rowed into shore and found a chauffeur, W, and we went to the grocery store to get ingredients to make coffee-can ice cream. I paid for my cream, sugar, vanilla flavoring & rock salt, and then the woman with no nose just a cavernous hole in the center of her face followed me to my car begging for food money whatever.

She wouldn’t leave until W hit the gas and we sped away.

No comments: