Monday, June 7, 2010

The Golden Chukadu

For the first seven months I lived here, the center of one of the roundabouts of Goma was draped with flowing orange plastic tarps. I wanted so badly to sneak up at night and peek in between and see what was hidden. But you can’t be out and about like that after dusk, and you can’t screw around with the laws or the police, so. That dream was dashed. I was so worried I’d fly away from here never seeing what lay beneath.

And then last weekend I’m lying on the beach in Gisenyi and my phone bings, it’s one of my friends, she tells me that she drove by a crowd surrounding the unwrapping ceremony, and the statue is a


!!!GOLDEN CHUKADU!!!!!

A chukadu is a traditional eastern Congo wooden bicycle. Men and children are paid to transport tons and tons of goods back & forth up & down hills.

The rumor (which I suspect is more or less true) is that the owner of Hotel Ihusi paid for the statue. It symbolizes the fact that his first business was tiny tiny, he started from nothing, and now he runs the most expensive hotel in the city.

3 comments:

texasinafrica said...

OMG. I am completely speechless. And I hope nobody steals it before I'm there in three weeks to have a closer look.

Rachel said...

I KNOW, RIGHT?! I still want to sneak up onto the platform to get a photo pretending to ride it...

AND THEN! Just two days ago I was at my friend's place in Jambo Safari apartment building and the center of THEIR roundabout is suddenly all wrapped up to!!! My colleague Mumbare who knows everything about everything in Goma says it's going to be a statue of Nyiragongo. I can only hope it will be gold, too...

Anonymous said...

Wundaful ting.