Tuesday, May 18, 2010

My First "Bleg".

Hi, internet pals. Here's the sitch: I need a job. I want to be in "the field" in a humanitarian aid setting. I'd love to work in media/communications, but mainly, I'd like to work. I have oodles of lovely former/current bosses who have happily offered me glowing letters of recommendation.

Have any advice for me? Shoot me an email.

EXPERIENCE
Very, Very Big iNGO: Grants Volunteer  
•October 2009 – Present, Goma, North Kivu, DRC
  • Grants Writing: Collaborate with Grants team and Program, Finance, Logistics and HR departments to draft, edit and compile concept papers, proposals, donor reports and budgets.
  • Provide research support into donor compliance as needed.
  • Designed and executed media for a community relations campaign in response to localized threats.
Very, Very Big iNGO: Africa Advocacy Intern 
•January 2009 – August 2009, Washington, DC
  • Drafted policy points and co-draft policy proposals. Covered meetings and conference calls and summarized key points.
Largish iNGO: Research Associate  
•September–December 2008, Kitgum, Uganda
  • Research: Ran focus groups and key informant interviews and analyzed resulting data for publication.
  • Writing: Co-authored needs assessment of vulnerable and exploited children in Kitgum District of Northern Uganda with team of Ugandan students.
  • Management: Managed four Ugandan national research assistants.
•June 2008 – August 2008, Washington, DC
  • Research: Researched best practices for designing interventions with formerly abducted children and returned child soldiers.
*Interlude for Grad School*
Small (but cool!) iNGO: Development Intern  
•March–August 2007, Basse Santa Su, The Gambia
  • Donor Communication: Served as lead writer and coordinator on two large UNICEF reports and small reports for individual donors.
  • Finance/Management: Provided financial planning support for country director of finances. Interviewed potential employees and made recommendations for hiring process.
•January–February 2007, Dakar, Senegal
  • Logistics: Provided logistical support for outreach meetings in several villages.
*Interlude for College* 
Red Cross Emergency Response: Ground Zero Volunteer  
•September–November 2001, New York City, NY
  • Helped family members of victims of 9/11 search hospital lists for loved ones and apply for death certificates. Cleaned boots of firemen working to recover bodies and clear Ground Zero.
San Paolo Entro le Mura: ESOL Instructor  
•September 1999–June 2000, Rome, Italy
  • Teaching: Taught English as a Second Language to homeless refugees from Middle East and Africa of varying ages and ability levels.

Woo-hoo! Hire me!!!  (I tried to make this last bit glittery but our internet it too slow for me to find nice glittery HTML codes.)

5 comments:

Saira said...

I sent an email just now. Let me know if your spam collector eats it up!

lu said...

just found your blog, which is very refreshing.

i also love how you bedazzled your cv for all the world to see. although i am not in the position to hire anyone at the moment (unless you want to come and volunteer in canada, yeehaw!), but i wish you the best of luck in finding something great.

Rachel said...

Hi Lu!!! Glad you like my blog & appreciate my ATTEMPTED bedazzling effort. And thanks for the good wishes. :-D

Shawny said...

I know nothing about the work you do but I know that Eastern Congo Initiative has a position available. I saw it on their facebook :) Good luck and thanks for letting me follow your story.

Rachel said...

Hi Shawny, thanks so much!!! I will definitely check that out tomorrow. THANKS :o)