Thursday, January 14, 2010

Day in the Life

Scene: Orphanage on the Outskirts of the City; 3 pm

Seven-year-old boy: “I’m fatherless.”

Me: “I know. I’m sorry.” [Pause.] “Um. I don’t have any brothers or sisters.”

Seven-year-old boy: “What? That’s terrible. I’m sorry.”


*

Scene: Our Office; 9pm

Colleague: “How long have we been working on this budget?”

Me: “Months.”

Colleague: “How long have we been working on this budget today?”

Me: “Twenty-nine hours today.”

Colleague: “Hahaha. Well, thank God you’re good at numbers.”

Me: “Budgets are funny. Hahaha.”

Colleague: “Hahahahahahahahahaha.”

Me: “Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.”

Another Colleague, entering: “What’s so funny?”

[Confused silence.]

*

Scene: Our Living Room; 11 pm; James Bond Movie Projected onto Wall

Colleague: “I like watching James Bond movies. Our lives look really boring in comparison.”

Me: “Compared to James Bond, we are living in a little cottage surrounded by a white-washed picket fence with our husband and two-point-five children.”

No comments: