Sunday, January 31, 2010

Byes

Today our colleagues R and S with whom we lived, worked, danced, ate, drank, boated, laughed, relaxed, etcetera, etcetera, packed their bags. They climbed into a car. They were driven away forever.

It was sad.

Over the next month five more colleagues will climb up into five more cars and go away. Bit by bit, not all at once, like ripping off a Band-Aid. Bit by sad little bit.

Today, to cope, I baked cookies for us who remain. I went to lunch and drank a huge fresh wild strawberry juice with my friend C who is so interesting.

And I paddled my boat out to see the sunset, like when I was a kid living on the eastern shore of the Chesapeake Bay and my mum and I would take the canoe to greet the big sailboats that were mooring in our harbor for the night and to watch the sun turn from a yellow mist to a small red ball and sink beneath the earth.

The more things change, the more they you know.

No comments: