Friday, October 2, 2009

Scene: Family Gathering

Generic Friend-of-the-Family: Are you still living in DC, Rachel?
Me: Yes, for now, although I'm moving to DR Congo next month.
GFotF: Where?  To Konga?  Where's that?
Me: No, to... Congo.  DR Congo.
GFotF: Not the one in Africa?
Me: Um, yes...
GFotF: Ergh.  [GFotF physically recoils.]  Isn't that a dangerous place?
Me: I, um.  I don't know, it's a... place.  It's just... a place.
GFotF: What?
Me: I mean, there are communities there...
GFotF: You know, my nephew and his wife worked at an orphanage in Tanzania for a month in 2007.  And then they traveled around.  I should put you in touch with them.
Me: Oh.  Yes.  Sure, that would be great.  Thanks.

***

Another Generic Friend-of-the-Family: Are you still living in DC, Rachel?
Me: Yes.

No comments: