Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Inoculations, malaria pills, & the DRC embassy

That was my day yesterday!  And now my right arm hurts & my left arm hurtshurtshurts & I'm back to waiting.

Everyone at the DRC embassy was really nice.  I was in line to apply for my visa standing in front of (and then behind -- they don't take personal checks so I had to run out to the P.O. to get a money order --) a young man who was about 25, with a totally American accent, who was "returning" to the DRC for the first time in 22 years.  He was so nervous and excited, and I was nervous and excited, for obviously smaller reasons, and we didn't talk all that much about anything, but we liked each other, and there was a good feeling of nerves, excitement, and happiness in the tiny waiting room as we exchanged pleasantries and grins.

No comments: